Professor Gordon G. Wallace
Australian Research Council Laureate Fellow
Executive Research Director of the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Electromaterials Science.
Director of the Intelligent Polymer Research Institute, University of Wollongong.
Director of the Australian National Fabrication Facility, Materials Node.
Professor Gordon Wallace’s research interests include organic conductors, nanomaterials
and electrochemical probe methods of analysis and the use of these in the development of intelligent polymer systems. A current focus involves the use of these tools and materials in developing biocommunications from the molecular to skeletal domains in order to improve human performance via medical Bionics.
Gordon is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (ATSE), Institute of Physics, and Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI). He received the Inaugural Polymer Science and Technology Award from the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI) in 1992; the RACI Stokes Medal for Research in Electrochemistry in 2004; and the HG Smith Memorial award from the RACI in 2008. He was awarded an ETS Walton Fellowship by the Science Foundation Ireland in 2003; named NSW Scientist of the Year (Chemistry) in 2008; appointed as a Professor in the World Class University by the South Korean Government in 2009; received the SPIE Smart Materials Research Lifetime Achievement Award in the USA in March 2009 and was honoured with the 2009 Smart Structures and Materials Lifetime Achievement Award.
He has published more than 700 refereed publications; a monograph (3rd Edition published in 2009) on Conductive Electroactive Polymers: Intelligent Polymer Systems and co-authored a monograph on Organic Bionics (published 2012). Gordon has supervised more than 84 PhD students to completion. Gordon has recently (2014) co-authored an eBook on 3D BioPrinting.
Gordon completed his undergraduate (1979) and PhD (1983) degrees at Deakin University. And was awarded a DSc from Deakin University in 2000. He was appointed as a Professor at the University of Wollongong in 1990. He was awarded an ARC Professorial Fellowship in 2002; an ARC Federation Fellowship in 2006 and ARC Laureate Fellowship in 2011.
BSc (Hons. 1st Class) Deakin University, Geelong, Australia, 1978
PhD Deakin University, Geelong, Australia, 1983
DSc Deakin University, Geelong, Australia, 2000
- Laureate Fellow of the Australian Research Council (ARC), awarded 2011
- SPIE (Smart Structures/NDE) Lifetime Achievement Award, 2009
- NSW Scientist of the Year Award (Chemistry), 2009
- Royal Australian Chemical Institute HG Smith Medal, 2008.
(for most significant contribution to a field of Chemistry, based on published research in preceding 10 years)
- Elected Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science, 2007
- Federation Fellow of the ARC, 2006
- Elected Fellow of the Institute of Physics (UK) in 2004
- Appointed Adjunct Professor, Dublin City University, 2004
- Appointed Special Research Fellow, Bionic Ear Institute, 2004
- Royal Australian Chemical Institute Stokes Medal for Electrochemistry, awarded 2004
- Science Foundation Ireland Walton Fellowship, 2003 - 2004
- Elected Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, 2003
- ARC Australian Professorial Fellowship, awarded 2001
- ARC Senior Research Fellowship, awarded 1996
- Fellow, Royal Australian Chemical Institute since 1995
- Chairman, Royal Australian Chemical Institute, Electrochemistry Division, 1997 - 2000
- Inaugural Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI) Polymer Science and Technology Achievement Award, 1992
- Chairman, Royal Australian Chemical Institute, Wollongong Branch, 1987 - 1988
Professional Committee Roles
- Member, Australian Academy of Science Sectional Committee (SC5), 2009-2011.
- Member, Advisory Team for Report on Nanotechnology commissioned by the Australian Government and prepared by the Australian Academy of Science, 2009-2010.
- Member, Australian Research Council Nanotechnology Network Management Committee, 2007-2009.
- Chairman, Royal Australian Chemical Institute Electrochemistry Division, 1997-2000.
- Member of Review Panel – Bio Deakin 2008.
- Member International Advisory Board, PERC (University of Auckland, NZ) 2008-Present.
- Member Advisory Board, Mawson Institute (University of South Australia) 2009-Present.
- Member Advisory Centre for Organic Electronics (University of Newcastle) 2008-Present.
- Bionic Technology Australia Governing Board, 2006-2009.
- Chairman, Royal Australian Chemical Institute, Wollongong Branch, 1987 - 1988.
- Member, Irish Chemical Institute Council, 1984 - 1985
phone: +61-2–4221 3127
fax: +61-2-4221 3114